As part of our series of interviews celebrating Women in Engineering Day (June 23) we talk to BPE senior consultant Rebecca David about her experiences in the industry. Here, she tells us why she love...
Ensuring that both existing and planned production facilities are designed and operated in line with the guiding principles of Sustainability is of course a significant challenge. SUSOP® is a structured process of multi-disciplinary workshops and supporting analysis, developed originally through a collaborative research effort between industry and researcher organisations led by The University of Queensland in Australia.
At the heart of SUSOP® is a systematic and rigorous step-by-step procedure. This ensures critical environmental, community and social issues are identified and then translated into real operating designs and practices which deliver new innovative solutions; importantly, SUSOP® does not compromise financial outcomes.
The key output is a populated Sustainability Register™ which includes all identified opportunities and risks, supporting SD Balance Sheets™ schematically showing the positive and negative sustainability impacts, plus action plans for progressing key sustainability initiatives.
Some of the key features and related benefits of SUSOP include:
- Reduced likelihood of costly project delays
- Faster project approvals and streamlined processes
- Rigorous and practical approach to ensure opportunities and risks are identified and reviewed
- Reduced capital and operating costs through innovative solutions
- Reduced water consumption, lower energy use and less waste production
- Improved Sustainability Outcomes
- Structured analysis of sustainability risks and opportunities
- Embedded review against the Five Capitals – Natural, Human, Social, Manufactured and Financial
- Effective definition and tracking of Actions
- Decision support systems through a Sustainability Register ™ and SD Balance Sheets™
- Integrated knowledge base
For more details on SUSOP(R) please call us on 01962 717070 or email us email@example.com